Since I wrote last, a lot has happened. I went last Friday (25th) and had a PIC line put into my arm. It is on the inner side of the right arm, just above my elbow. The catheter runs up my arm in the subclavian artery (for all you doctors and nurses out there), takes a turn at my shoulder, and empties right around the superior vena cava (which is right at the top part of the heart). I was terrified, but the procedure didn't take long at all. I was awake, a little sedated, but awake. It was interesting to see the catheter being threaded though on the x-ray machine monitor that was nearby. So, so far, so good with the catheter. It's a little awkward, takes some getting used
to, but it's all good.
to, but it's all good.
Just to give you a little visual about where exactly it is!Once I had the PIC line inserted, that same day I had to go across town in ATL to have my first treatment at the Infusion Center. My nurse, a guy named Mike, is a pretty cool guy. He showed me exactly what was going on, exactly how to administer the antibiotics every day, flush it, etc. It looks really complicated, but once you do it a time or two, it's really easy. So I had my first treatment, and then he sent me on my way with a cooler full of medicine (it has to stay refrigerated, obviously!).
The medicine is housed in a little cylindrical container that has a latex bubble inside of it. The inside of the container is pressurized, so as soon as I hook it up to my IV line and undo the clamp, the meds just start flowing into my veins. Doesn't hurt, doesn't bother me at all. It takes about 30-40 minutes for the little bubble to become empty, and then I flush it all out with saline and heparin (for blood clots).
The major difference I have noticed is that I am SO TIRED, SO TIRED. Even more than I was before. I am just drained - and have no problem sleeping 12 plus hours right now. I also have a lot of nausea and headaches all the time...but other than that, I'm hanging in there pretty good so far.
Just praying that this medicine will help me - that it will kill the Lyme disease, that it will help me to feel more like a 25 year old again. The good Lord has blessed me oh so much - and He is right beside me throughout all of this!
Best,
Joy
The medicine is housed in a little cylindrical container that has a latex bubble inside of it. The inside of the container is pressurized, so as soon as I hook it up to my IV line and undo the clamp, the meds just start flowing into my veins. Doesn't hurt, doesn't bother me at all. It takes about 30-40 minutes for the little bubble to become empty, and then I flush it all out with saline and heparin (for blood clots).
The major difference I have noticed is that I am SO TIRED, SO TIRED. Even more than I was before. I am just drained - and have no problem sleeping 12 plus hours right now. I also have a lot of nausea and headaches all the time...but other than that, I'm hanging in there pretty good so far.
Just praying that this medicine will help me - that it will kill the Lyme disease, that it will help me to feel more like a 25 year old again. The good Lord has blessed me oh so much - and He is right beside me throughout all of this!
Best,
Joy
No comments:
Post a Comment