Today I heard the news that the best professor on the planet and my dear friend, Dr. Ginger Carter Miller, is facing a hard time with the possibility of Ovarian cancer. For those of you who know her, please read her blog for more details: Carter's BlogWhen I went to Georgia College & State University in 2000, I wanted to be a doctor. I was pre-med, eventually majored in Biology, but basically was taking my core classes, so I hadn't gotten that far into the major. Somewhere along the way, I realized that this was not the path I needed to take - and literally overnight for reasons that I cannot explain, I decided I wanted to major in Mass Communication.
So I can't remember who I went to talk to - it probably was Dr. Land, but who knows - anyway I changed my major and officially became a Mass Comm major. One of the first classes I took in that major was the Mass Media Law class with Dr. Ginger Carter (at the time, she hadn't married the love of her life Randy just yet). I think I had met her in the halls and in passing, but never had a conversation with her really. So every day I went to the class, and every day I fell more and more in love with this professor! She was funny, cute, captivating and had my attention the entire time I was in her class. One of the things we studied was the infamous Larry Flynt Hustler lawsuit - and read this hilarious cartoon about the late Jerry Falwell and his "first time." And I also remember that a certain Eminem song came out at the time - and she sat at the front of the class and was rapping to it randomly. Oh what fun we had in that and many other classes with her! I came to know and love one of the best people on the earth - "Carter."
Throughout my years in college thereafter, Carter was a constant source of support, laughter and friendship for me. She always had a hug, a smile and an encouraging word for me when I would walk in her office! When I graduated, she was at my graduation party and my family fell in love with her as well.
Her sweet son, Jeffrey, is just as amazing as his mother. I enjoyed getting hugs from Jeffrey, and when he would see me, he would open his arms and say "JOYCE, JOYCE!!!" Carter you raised such a wonderful fella!
A year or so after I graduated, she married sweet Randy Miller. Many of you were there - and you would agree with me that she looked the happiest we had ever seen her that day. It was a beautiful wedding, and I couldn't have been more excited for her!
Carter is one of the reasons why I have the job I have today at UGA. She's also one of the reasons why I am sure I'll be in grad school one day. She is one of the bright spots in my memory when I look back at my college days. Oh how I love that woman!
Carter - you have touched the lives of SO MANY students like myself over the years. All students, past and present, I am very sure are praying for you. You have supported all your students so much - and it's our turn to support you!!!
If you read this message and you don't know Carter - please pray for her anyway. Please pray for her strength and guidance through the next couple of weeks - especially on Oct. 29. The power of prayer is amazing!
Love you Carter!
HUGS,
Joy

1 comment:
I am speechless and crying and so, so happy to have my Joyous in my life. This has blessed me beyond words. I love you with all my heart!
Post a Comment